Having a termite inspection on the Gold Coast is one of the best ways of protecting your home and property saving thousands of dollars worth of damage.
Often you will not see any signs you have termites until they have established themselves, but if you do see any sign of them, it’s vital you act quickly to have them dealt with to limit the amount of destruction they can cause.
The best option is to call a reputable local pest inspection company on the Gold Coast, the following are some things to consider when having termite inspections done at your home.
Make it easy for the inspection
When your termite inspectors are working on your property, it’s in your interests to make the job as easy as possible for them. Here are some things you should do before the inspection.
- Clean the inside of your home and make sure it’s tidy. This makes spotting termites much easier
- Arrange to be there so you can discuss any issues with your inspector
- Move any large or heavy furniture such as wardrobes away from the walls where possible as these are places termites are likely to be
- Remove any clutter from under the kitchen, bathroom and laundry sinks
- Make sure all doors and windows are unlocked and access ways to the ceiling and under-floor areas are not blocked
- Tidy up outside, termites often enter your home from your garden, so one of the areas your termite inspection on the Gold Coast will centre on is the outside areas and possible termite access points
Species of Termites on the Gold Coast
The method used to control termites can depend on the type of termite you have in your home, The two common types of termites on the Gold Coast are:
- Subterranean termites:
These termites live in the damp soil around your home in colonies. They then feed above ground and take some food back to the colony. Mud tubes on the surface such as on concrete walls, posts and other areas they cannot tunnel through are one of their common signs
Subterranean termites require damp, moist conditions to survive, so are always close to some form of water. They also swarm in the tens of thousands on warm, humid days around dusk
- Drywood Termites
These termites require much less moisture in their environments and don’t require any soil contact. They live in and consume solid, healthy timber, where they can cause serious damage.
The Inspection will Look For
- Signs of Swarming
Only subterranean termites swarm, often in the early evening, they are highly visible at this time with discarded wing left under light sources
- Mud Tubes
These are made from cellulose and soil from the surrounding area and can be found on surfaces termites can’t tunnel through
- Timber Damage
Your termite inspection on The Gold Coast will include an examination of all the timbers of your home
- High Moisture Content
A moisture meter may be used to check for signs of termites
- Access Points
All timber outside will be checked
A termite infestation can destroy your home very quickly a termite inspection on the Gold Coast will reveal any termite issues. Have your home and property clean and tidy when the inspectors come to make detection easier.