For most people buying a property is a major move and the last thing you want to when you move in is that it has serious defects or pest infestations. This is why it‘s so important to have pre-purchase building & pest inspections on the Gold Coast done before you sign or as part of the conditions of your purchase agreement.
What is a pre-purchase property inspection report?
This is referred to by some people as a standard property report and gives you a comprehensive written report on the condition of the building. Most standard building inspections will only give a visual damage report on insect or termite activity so you need to clarify whether you are also getting a pest inspection or need to order a separated one.
Your building inspection will tell you about any significant structural or building defects such as
- Dry rot or insect damage
- Movement in foundations or walls
- Rising damp
- Leaking roof areas or damaged weatherproofing
- Structural defects
- Poor workmanship
- Damaged plumbing
Why is it important to have this done?
There are 3 main reasons to have an inspection done:
- So you know of any problems or potential problems
- You can use the information to reduce the price
- You know the real costs of bringing the property up to a reasonable standard
Choose the right qualified person to inspect
It is vital you use a proper suitably qualified to provide a professional report as these people know what to look for and can detect any cosmetic cover ups that could be missed by an untrained person. They should have an adequate professional indemnity cover so you are protected.
Make sure that the person you choose has adequate insurance cover, particularly for professional indemnity and that their report complies with the Australian standard AS 4349.1 which covers such things.
If you have concerns about any aspect of a property, consider asking for an assessment of those areas to be completed by an accredited specialist such as a structural engineer.
The usual areas covered by a building & pest inspections on the Gold Coast are:
- The building’s exterior
- The building interior
- The roof space
- Any under floor space
- Doors and windows
- Garages, carports and sheds
- Separate toilets and laundries
- Steps, pathways and driveways
- Surface and storm water runoff
You can request them to report on:
- Any non-working electrics
- Signs of asbestos
- Smoke alarms
- Safety devices or lack of
- The site in general
Normally, unless specified building & pest inspections on the Gold Coast don’t include:
- Concealed areas such as damp proofing
- Carpet and floor coverings
- Types of paint
- Electrical wiring
- Air conditioning
- Ponds, spars, swimming pools and equipment
- Fireplaces and chimneys
- Alarms and surveillance systems
- Home appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, dishwasher, clothes washers etc
- Internet, radio, cell phone or TV reception
Your pest inspection will tell you about any pest problems or threads throughout the property
Having a building & pest inspections on the gold Coast is very important before you purchase a property and it’s a good idea to have them done regularly to ensure your property maintains its value. This helps with your general maintenance as it alerts you to any potential problems, but always insist on a qualified inspector.