For many Australian families the Christmas and New year’s holidays mean going away to visit friends and families.
As we are packing up and heading off for some important family time what’s stopping the pest’s from moving in?
Here are our Top Pest Control Tips to protect your home while you’re away:
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink
- Ensure all food is in tightly sealed containers
- Don’t leave dirty laundry in rooms or laundry floor
- Ensure all water taps are firmly turned-off as excess water and dampness attracts a multitude of pests (e.g. ants, flies, termites).
- Remove items away from external walls (e.g. firewood) building supplies, pipes, hoses. This deters concealed access by ants but is also quite relevant for subterranean termites.
- Keep all foods sealed in air tight containers.
- Rinse out and wash all rubbish bins including waste receptacles or before re-lining them for ease of rubbish removal (even the wheelie bins).
- If you leave before rubbish collection days, do not overload the rubbish bin with perishables (e.g. seafood remnants). Store these few items in a freezer unit and dispose of them when you return.
- Remove all dog droppings and clean out the kitty litter trays just before you leave.
- Again, if anyone is house sitting, notify them to only feed pets with enough food for immediate consumption as many fly species will locate the leftovers and deposit eggs/larvae into it.
Ticks and Fleas
- Check everybody (adults, children & pets), including shoes and clothing when leaving risk areas (e.g. Bushland /long grassy areas). Ticks/Fleas are ideally suited to hitching a ride on the host.
- Pay careful attention and brush yourself off before going into the home.
- Before leaving, ensure your pet’s Tick and Flea program/treatments is up to date. Keep it marked on a calendar or set it on your phone alarm for easy reminders.
- If anyone is house sitting, instruct them to keep your pet’s bedding area regularly cleaned and treated (for further information consult with your pest management technician).
Follow these simple tips and you won’t be faced with a pest control problem when returning home these holidays. Enjoy your break!